The 2020 Oscars will go ahead without a host once more this February.
President of ABC Entertainment, Karey Burke, together with the Academy (of Motion Pictures), told reporters saying,“Let me confirm it now. we have decided there will be no traditional host again this year,”.
Kevin Hart was supposed to host the 2019 ceremony but dropped out in December 2018 after being accused of homophobia due to some of his past tweets.
The 2019 Oscars were the first in 30 years to have no host and saw the audience on broadcaster ABC rise to 29.6 million Americans, breaking a four-year trend of falling viewership for the live ceremony.
Burke said the decision not to have a host for the 9 February event, the most prestigious awards in the movie business, was prompted by last year’s success, when rock band Queen opened the show with a live performance to celebrate the box office success of the movie Bohemian Rhapsody.
Burke said organisers planned on “repeating what worked for us last year – huge entertainment value, big musical numbers, big comedy.”
“A lot of incredible elements have already come together and convinced us that we are going to have an incredibly entertaining show again,” she added, without giving details.
Nominations for the 2020 Oscars will be announced on Monday.